PD Opportunity: Teaching Black Girls

This week the CHS teachers are creating playlists as an S&EL activity to get us pumped up for school. One of my favorite singers, the Britsh folk artist Yola, has a great new song, "Hold On." 

According to Yola, "‘Hold On’ is a conversation between me and the next generation of young black girls. My mother’s advice would always stress caution, that all that glitters isn’t gold, and that my black female role models on TV are probably having a hard time. She warned me that I should rethink my calling to be a writer and a singer. . . but to me that was all the more reason I should take up this space. ‘Hold On’ is asking the next-gen to take up space, to be visible and to show what it looks to be young, gifted and black.”

This reminded me of a great new PD opportunity, Teaching Beautiful, Brilliant Black Girls: How to Curate Classrooms for Radical Transformation Confirmation. Click HERE if you are interested in this webinar:

"Black Girls are beautiful and brilliant, but far too often their beauty and brilliance are shattered by the racial aggression, trauma, and violence they face in school. In this webinar, the presenters will share their instructional best practices centered on the identities and lived experiences of Black Girls and challenge attendees to answer the call for radical transformation."

Attend this webinar to:

  • Understand the systemic, harsh realities Black Girls experience in school and society
  • Discover frameworks and research from Black scholars that influence how Black Girls can thrive
  • Engage with proven, pedagogical strategies solidly rooted in the experiences of Black Girls
  • Answer the call for a radical transformational pedagogy that centers on, honors, responds to, and is relevant to the identities and lived experiences of Black Girls

Thank you, MMS Principal Gronau, for the suggestion!

Also, you may be interested in this powerful NYT piece, "A Battle for the Souls of Black Girls." I found it very illuminating. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

National Hispanic Heritage Month - 2022 Resources

Edutopia's Look at Student Stress & More

BHM Month Resources 2023